Ir. Dr. Wong Fook Keong
- B.Sc. (Civil Eng, Strathclyde)
- Ph.D. (Civil, Mining & Applied Geology, Strathclyde)
- Dip. EF (ACEA, UK), PostGrad Dip.Arb (CEM, Reading)
- LLM (Commercial Law, Northumbria),
- LLM (International Trade Law, Northumbria)
- P.Eng., C.Eng., F.IEM, F.ICE, F.ASCE, M.ACEM, F.MIArb., F.CIArb., AM.ABE, ASEAN Engineer
- BEM Accredited Checker (Geotechnical)
- AIAC Panel Mediator, Adjudicator & Arbitrator
- Chartered Arbitrator
PERSONAL DATAIr. Dr. Wong was born in 1954 in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. His primary school education was at the Jalan Pasar Primary School and his secondary school education was at the Cochrane Road Secondary School in Kuala Lumpur. In 1974, he left for Glasgow (Scotland) for his university studies in Civil Engineering.
- Dec 1978 – Dec 1981: Research Assistant, University of Strathclyde, Scotland.
- Dec 1981 – Aug 1990:
- Senior Engineer, Moh & Associates, Inc. (Taiwan)
- Assistant Manager, Moh & Associates (M) Sdn. Bhd.
- Manager, Moh & Associates (M) Sdn Bhd.
- Resident Director, Moh & Associates (M) Sdn Bhd.
- Aug 1990 – Sept 1998: Principal, Messrs. Dr. Wong Fook Keong Engineers & Associates.
- From Sept 1998: Managing Director, WEA Engineers & Associates Sdn Bhd
- Professional Civil Engineer, Malaysia.
- Chartered Civil Engineer, United Kingdom.
- Chartered Arbitrator, United Kingdom
- Fellow, the Institution of Engineers, Malaysia.
- Fellow, the Institution of Civil Engineers (U.K.).
- Fellow, the American Society of Civil Engineers.
- Fellow, the Malaysian Institute of Arbitrators.
- Fellow, the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (U.K.).
- Member, Association of Consulting Engineers, Malaysia
- Professional Member, the Concrete Reinforcing Steel Institute (U.S.A.).
- Associate Member, the Association of Business Executives (U.K.).
- ASEAN Engineer
REGISTRATION WITH PROFESSIONAL BODIES
- Listed in the International WHO’s WHO of Professionals since 1998.
- Panel Member, Investigating Tribunal, Advocates & Solicitors’ Disciplinary Board.
- Panel Member, Disciplinary Committee, Advocates & Solicitors’ Disciplinary Board.
- Panel Member, ACEM/IEM Panel of Geotechnical Engineering Experts.
- Panel Member, Independent Advisers (Geotechnical Engineering) on EIA, Jabatan Alam Sekitar (Department Of Environment).
- Panel Member, MIArb Panel of Arbitrators.
- Panel Member, CIArb Panel of Experts.
- Panel Member, CIArb Panel of Arbitrators.
- Panel Member, IEM Panel of Arbitrators.
- Panel Member, AIAC First Panel Arbitrators.
- Panel Member, AIAC Panel of Mediators and Adjudicators
- Approved Tutor, Examiner & Moderator up to Fellow level Assessment for The Chartered Institute of Arbitrators.
- BEM Accredited Checker for Geotechnical Work
PROFESSIONAL INSTITUTIONAL ACTIVITIES
- Council Member, the Institution of Engineers, Malaysia (Sessions 2001/2002 to 2003/2004). Protem Chairman of Project Management Technical Division (2004/2005), Chairman of Sub-committees on the drafting of the new IEM Civil Engineering Conditions of Contract (2002-2004 & 2006/2007), IEM Standard Method of Measurements (2003/2004) and Professional Indemnity Insurance (2003/2004). Vice Chairman of Sub-committee on Dispute Resolution Procedure (2001-2005). Interviewer and Moderator for IEM/BEM Professional Examinations.
- Council Member, the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, Malaysia Branch (Sessions 2001-2005 and 2008-2013). Chairman of Committees on Special Member Course (2004/2005), Fast Track Programme (2002/2003), and Arbitrators’ Surgery (2003/2004/2005). Course Director of Introduction to Arbitration Course, Annually - Tutor & Examiner up to Fast Track Programme for Fellows. CIArb Lecturer at IIUM.
- Council Member, the Malaysian Institute of Arbitrators (Session 2005 – 2006). Chairman of Committee on Adjudication Rules.
Ir. Dr. Wong has been in engineering consultancy practice since 1981. His engineering experience encompasses consulting work in geotechnical, civil and structural engineering in West Malaysia, Sabah, Sarawak, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore, Vietnam, Bangladesh, Thailand, Seychelles Islands and Mauritius in the following disciplines: -
- Geotechnical Engineering: includes shallow & deep foundations, soil improvement, soil & rock slope engineering, land reclamation and deep basements.
- Civil (Infrastructure) Engineering: includes roads, drainage, water supply & reticulation for developments, sewer reticulation for developments, erosion control and small road bridges.
- Structural Engineering: includes cable car support structures, high-rise residential & commercial buildings, low-rise residential and commercial buildings, hill-slope development, tunnel-forms & other system formwork construction, precast building construction, industrial (factory) buildings and hotels. Spent considerable time to develop and engineer the MIVAN and related aluminium formwork system.
- Specialized Services: include geotechnical & structural engineering forensic studies, monitoring, audit/appraisal, geotechnical & structural repair/remedial work, studies for engineering/construction related insurance claims (including fire damaged structures), expert witness service on geotechnical, civil and structural engineering and building demolition.
Within the state of Selangor and Wilayah Persekutuan, Ir. Dr. Wong has completed civil & structural engineering consulting services for:
- the Precinct 16 condominium development at Putrajaya by Putra Perdana Bhd (RM150 million construction cost);
- the Flora Damansara Perdana residential development by MK Land Bhd (RM300 million construction cost)
- the Southgate Commercial Complex at Jalan Sungai Besi by the Mah Sing Group (RM250 million construction cost);
- the Icon City Phase 1 mega commercial project in Petaling Jaya (RM900 millions construction cost) by the Mah Sing Group;
- the M-Suite residential development at Jalan Ampang (RM120 million construction cost) by the Mah Sing Group;
- the PJX Office Complex (next to Amcorp Mall at Petaling Jaya) by the Siah Brothers Group (RM120 million construction cost); and
- a large commercial development (Sutera Avenue) in Kota Kinabalu (RM400 million construction cost) by the Mah Sing Group.
In 2018/2019 Ir. Wong’s Selangor Office embarks on the following new projects:
- The M-Centura Project by the Mah Sing Group comprising 2 blocks of 45 storey apartments (about RM250 millions construction cost);
- The Icon City Phase 2 Project by the Mah Sing Group which is wellness centre (about RM900 millions construction cost);
- The structural strengthening and rehabilitation of a block of 10 storey apartment and 2 storey car park by the Mah Sing Group (RM30 millions construction cost);
- The mixed highrise development on a 52 acres piece of hill slope land at Selayang by the Dergahayu Group (about RM1.5 billion construction cost)
- The M-Arisa Project by the Mah Sing Group comprising 2 blocks of 57 storey apartments and 1 block of 10 storeys carpark (about RM300 millions construction cost);
- The highrise apartment development at Teratai, Cheras by the Dergahayu Group (about RM200 millions construction cost).
Ir. Dr. Wong’s Penang office was started in 1990 and has completed many notable hill-slope and highrise developments in Penang and the neighbouring northern states.
Ir. Dr. Wong is a recognized geotechnical engineering specialist on hill-slope development and was the team leader for the slope repair designs for the East-West Highway and Kuala Lumpur–Karak Highway in the early 1980s when he was the Resident Director of Moh Associates (M) Sdn Bhd. Under WEA Engineers & Associates Sdn Bhd, he was the team leader for the geological, geotechnical and structural studies and designs of the foundations and supporting structures of the Cable Car and Sky Bridge Project at Gunung Machinchang, Pulau Langkawi. He had acted as specialist adviser to Local Authorities, developers, consultants, lawyers and contractors on problematic geotechnical and structural engineering works, and conducted many building audits and forensic geotechnical & structural engineering studies, including working for insurance loss adjusters and insurance companies on engineer/construction related insurance losses.
In 2011/2012, he was appointed by the Chief Minister of Penang as a Member of the “Panel Penasihat Geoteknikal Kawasan Bukit dan Cerun, Pulau Pinang” to draft the new Bylaws for hill site development in Penang and Seberang Perai.
Ir. Dr. Wong’s practice has successfully completed many civil and structural works for developers and Ir. Dr. Wong has been regularly sought for consultancy works on structural engineering and construction administration related problems.
Ir. Dr. Wong is a well-known building demolition engineer, having safely and successfully engineered the demolition of many landmark structures in Kuala Lumpur and Selangor, including some parcels of the Subang Airport, the Panasonic Factory (at the junction of the Federal Highway and the LDP), the Flextronic Factory (near Bukit Tinggi in Shah Alam), the Malayan Tobacco Factory (Jalan Sungai Besi) and the Alliance Bank Building (opposite Nikko Hotel off Jalan Ampang). He had also engineered the demolition of the Atria shopping complex (Damansara Utama), the PKNS Headquarters (behind the PJ Hilton Hotel) and the Pejabat Tanah Building at Subang Jaya in 2011 and 2012. Recently, he had engineered the demolition of a block of structurally unsound 10-storey apartment at Rawang and was subsequently engaged to re-design the building using precast concrete technology.
MEDIATION, ADJUDICATION, ARBITRATION & EXPERT WITNESS
Ir. Dr. Wong’s pursuit of legal knowledge and studies started in 1999 when he read for the Postgraduate Diploma in Arbitration from the College of Estate Management at the University of Reading. He graduated from the university in 2000.
He earned his first LLM in Commercial Law in 2004 with the University of Northumbria at Newcastle upon Tyne. He read and completed the following subject modules: Legal Method & Research, Foundations of Commercial Law, Company Law & Insolvency, Construction Law, Intellectual Property, Commercial Contracts and Thesis (on the Expert Witness in Construction Disputes).
He earned his second LLM in 2011 with the University of Northumbria and this time in International Trade Law. This LLM degree was with Commendation by the university and the following subject modules were successfully completed: Carriage of Goods by Sea, International Sale Contracts, International Trade Finance Law, International Trade Disputes (Conflict of Laws), Competition Law and Thesis (on Competition Law)
He has successfully completed approved Mediation Training by the Pepperdine University (USA) in 2010 and is on the Panel of Mediators of the AIAC. He is also on the AIAC Panel of Adjudicators.
He is on the AIAC’s panel of arbitrators and had institutional and ad-hoc arbitral appointments on engineering and construction related disputes. He often gives expert evidence in arbitration proceedings and in litigation (all related to construction and engineering). His recent notable works as an expert witness include the Ecocity (Mid Valley) Pedestrian Bridge Collapse and the Tanjung Bungah (Granito) Slope Collapse. He has delivered talks to several professional bodies on expert evidence and arbitration and has been delivering two lectures annually on arbitration at the International Islamic University of Malaysia since 2007. He has been actively involved in the training of arbitrators for the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators since 2000 and is an accredited examiner and moderator for CIArb examinations up to the Fellow stage.
Ir. Yau Ann Nian DJN, PKT
B.Sc., EC Pt2, P.Eng, F.IEM, AM.ICE, MMGS, HON. MAFEO
- B.Sc (Civil), EC Part 2
- P.Eng, F.IEM, AM.ICE, MMGS, HON. MAFEO
- Qualified Geotechnical Engineer and Checker for High Risk Projects (Hill Land and Reclamation Projects) Accepted By Penang Hill Risk Project Committee
- Qualified Geotechnical Engineer and Checker for Basement Project Accepted By MBPP
- Geotechnical Consultant Engineer on Guidelines of Hill Land Development for Jabatan Perancang Bandar Dan Desa (JPBD)
- Representative to SPEAD Meeting from Institution of Engineers, Penang (IEM Pg)
- Standing Committee for Institution of Engineers, Penang (IEM Pg) on Response Team to Geotechnical, Civil & Structural Issues
- Qualified Geotechnical Engineer Submitting Terrain Mapping Report to Jabatan Mineral Geosains (JMG)
- Members of Enquiry Panel Formed By Penang State Government To Investigate The Temporary Fill Slope Failure of Jalan Bukit Kukus Paired Road Project
- Member of Technical Review Panel for Penang State Government
- Immediate Past Chairman for Institution Of Engineer Penang Branch (2021-2022)
Ir. Yau was born in Kuala Lumpur in 1957 and had his primary and secondary education at Salak South New Village Primary School and Tsun Jin High School respectively. Ir. Yau graduated with a B.Sc. in Civil Engineering from Cheng Kung University, Taiwan in 1980. He obtained his Part II Certificate in Civil Engineering from the Engineering Council (United Kingdom) in 1992.
Ir. Yau is a registered Professional Civil Engineer (Malaysia), Fellowship Member of the Engineers, Malaysia and an Associate Member of the Institution of Civil Engineers (United Kingdom). He is also a Chairman of IEM Penang Branch (2018-2021).
Ir. Yau started his engineering career as an Assistant Engineer with BES Engineering Corporation in Taiwan in 1980. He joined Moh & Associates, Inc. in Taiwan in 1982 as a Geotechnical and Structural Engineer and was transferred to its Malaysian office of Moh & Associates (M) Sdn. Bhd. in 1983. In 1990, he joined Ir. Dr. Wong Fook Keong’s new consulting practice in Penang as its Manager. In 1998, the practice was incorporated to WEA Engineers & Associates and Ir. Yau became a Shareholder and is presently the Resident Director of its Penang office.
Ir. Yau’s engineering experience includes design and construction supervision in geotechnical, civil and structural engineering disciplines. He is conversant with British and American Design Codes. While in Taiwan, he was partly involved in the construction supervision of a nuclear power station.
While with Moh & Associates (M) Sdn. Bhd., he spent over a year, as part of the design and supervision team led by Ir. Dr. Wong Fook Keong, on slope remedial investigations and design works undertaken by the Malaysian-Thai Development Corporation for the East-West Highway and the Kuala Lumpur-Karak Highway.
Ir. Yau has carried out structural and foundation designs for several medium-rise buildings in the Sychelles, Mauritius and Thailand. Ir. Yau is also conversant with earthquake provisions in structural design.
Ir. Yau was the team leader for WEA Engineers & Associates Sdn. Bhd. on the geotechnical and geological investigations, and the design of the support structures for the Gunung Machinchang Cable Car Project in Pulau Langkawi. The design work includes one 38m and one 72m high lattice pylons, three reinforced concrete stations, all the gondola receiving & delivery pylons and cable track supports at the stations, the associated foundations and slope stabilization works.
Ir. Yau is also a Qualified Geotechnical Engineer and Geotechnical Checker accepted by the committee of Penang High risk projects (Hill Land Projects, Projects with Reclamations) and also Geotechnical Engineer and Geotechnical Checker of Basement Projects to Majlis Bandaraya Pulau Pinang.
Ir. Yau has extensive experience in the following disciplines:
- Structural Engineering - Low-rise to high-rise residential and commercial buildings, Housing schemes comprising residential and commercial buildings, Industrial buildings (factories) and Hotels.
- Geotechnical Engineering - Deep basements (diaphragm and contiguous bored pile walls), soil and rock anchors, soil and rock slope Engineering, deep foundations, grouting, soil improvement, soft soil engineering and earth retaining structures (reinforced earth walls, soil nails, and conventional cantilever and gravity walls).